Sunday, April 11, 2010

Update

I really should post pics but I am at work and can't right now.
We recently (about 3 days ago) re-planted our carrots, beets (only 4 came up), and cantaloupe. I hope they sprout this time.
Our Cabbage, Spinach, broccoli, Onion and Lettuce look fabulous, getting big and lush. I hate to report we had to sprinkle with 7 dust already they were beginning to get eat, by something and the ants were beginning to take over! well we spread it and it rained within 24 hours - so it is all wash off now and the bugs are gone for now.
I hate not growing organic, but I also hate putting so much work into something for it to be destroyed overnight! I am gonna plant some marigolds to repel bugs and hopefully keep the pesticide treatments to a minimum! I am not putting pesticide on my herbs, for a couple of reasons, 1- you eat the herb directly (not like carrot where you pesticide the leaves and eat the roots) makes sense in my head anyway) alsoo I really haven't had much issue with my herbs getting eaten by bugs, I don't know why but they just don't bother my herbs.
speaking of which my chives came back with a vengence, they are awesome! My oregano is gonna take over my side garden - literally, they are spreading alot each year! my basil came back really pretty, and my rosemary looks pathetic but did come back - I hope it decides to flourish.
back to garden stuff though, our squash (planted last week) have 4 leaves each now and growing fast! and we have itty bitty tomatoes starting on one of the tomato bushes. Gonna go to the herb farm and get a roma tomato plant tomorrow - haven't been able to find them yet, but shelton was down at the Azalea festival and had some, but I want to get more herbs so tomorrow we shop! My pickled squash from last year is gone - NOOOOOO! I am looking forward to making some more!

No comments:

Post a Comment